Monday, 20 May 2013

Loganberries


The Loganberry Rubus loganobaccus is a cross between a Raspberry and Blackberry with a taste somewhere in between those two. The plants are hardier (in my garden) than Raspberry canes. Because they fruit early in the season (November) they usually miss the hottest of the summer heat unlike Blackberries that try to ripen in February in the middle of our heatwave season. The Blackberries often dry out before they have a chance to ripen.

The Loganberries fruited well last November and now its time to cut them back ready for next season.
It's quite easy to tell the old canes which have fruited as these are dry and brown.
The new canes which will go on to produce a crop later this year (in late spring) are green and lush, as these have grown I have tied them together in a bunch to one side.

To prune them all I have to do is cut the old canes right down to the ground and remove them.
Then I gather the new canes and tie them against the weldmesh trellis. I usually have to wind them over themselves to get them to fit in but as long as I don't snap any ends off they are fine. Some of the canes have offshoots so from these I take cuttings to grow more Loganberries to plant around the garden for free!!

The soil beneath the plants has been cleared, topped up with soil and compost, mulched with organic sugarcane and planted with Parsley and Sorrel. These have replaced the Strawberry plants this year. 
This is Bed 14 and yes it is a Wicking Worm Bed...see this link for more info.
 

5 comments:

  1. I have a loganberry in our yard in coastal Perth, it was a gift two Christmases ago so is about 2.5 years old. It's never fruited or even flowered but has otherwise grown well in that time. Do you have any thoughts about whether I should be pruning it over winter? I didn't really know what the fruit tastes like and am so excited it's raspberry-ish! We also have a raspberry cane but I'm dubious about whether we'll ever get any fruit off that given Perth summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try pruning it during winter but as Loganberries are a Bramble fruit they will need a number of "winter chill" hours to trigger flowering and fruiting. The only referrence I could find on just how many chill hours is on this chart from USA on this link
      It says that most of the brambles -blackberries, boysenberries. silvanberries and loganberries - require 1100-1400 Chill Hours below 7C during winter. That is a lot and could be more than you get in Perth I don't know Perth's climate at all.
      Other than the chill hours brambles don't like to be exposed to windy conditions. They would need to be shaded during hot summers too.
      According to that chart the Youngberry might be a better option for warmer climates.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is definitely a lot I think we get maybe 450-500 hours. I will try pruning it but it sounds as though it might be a bit forlorn. THanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is very familiar to me! If allowed to really ripen well they are sweet as can be, otherwise make a good addition to a Summer pudding. Just about 20 minutes care per year as well, so easy to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they. I love to make jam with them.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails