Sunday, 19 September 2010

Things Are Slowly Warming Up.

Scarecrow's Garden Log: 18:09:2010:

Mr Wizard and Ms Witch are almost hidden
by the Scented Geranium and Calendulas.
Lush growth despite a below average rainfall for winter.

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min -1.2C

Lowest Max 12.4C

Highest Max 16.3C

8mm Rain


What's the weather been like in the garden?
Foggy, drizzly and cloudy with a couple of bright sunny days after frost!

Propagation:
Potting up:
Midyim Berry Austromyrtus dulcis
Muntries Kunzea pomifera

Planting out:
Valerian Valerian officinalis
Midyim Berry Austromyrtus dulcis
Muntries Kunzea pomifera
Native Lemongrass Cymbopogon ambiguus
Sweet Appleberry Billardiera cymosa

Division:

Blue Flax-Lily Dianella revoluta

In the Garden This week:

In a revamp of the Bushfood Bed I have cleared one of the beds to make room for another veg growing Wicking Worm Bed.

In the bed remaining I have planted some of the Native Lemongrass, Muntries and Midyim Berry cuttings I took earlier in the year.

I emptied and moved the Tankbed closer to the Compost area and planted Strawberries and a Strawberry Guava into it.

Around the garden:

We have Purple Sprouting Broccoli!

The Mangelwurzels are getting huge
but I think will soon bolt to seed so I should harvest them!

Red Ribbed Dandelion Chicorium intybus.
It's easy to see how this Chicory got it's name.

The Parcel, Sea Celery Apium prostratum (Native Parsley),
Coriander and Endives
are just about overflowing their Wicking Boxes
on the back pergola.

The Roi de Carouby SnowPeas are forming...

...Strawberries are flowering...

and the Osteospermum Daisies are flowering.

Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Beetroot Golden***150g
Kale Mixed***210g
Lettuce Green and Red mix***70g
Parcel***45g
Parsley***50g
Radish Cherry Belle***20g
Shallots Red***30g
Silverbeet Mixed***314g

Eggs
13 From the 5 Farmyard Ferals
19 From the 4 Barnevelders
21 From the 5 Faverolles

To see how the various Garden areas fit on our half acre block check out the newest Map of our place HERE (a new one is due soon!)

3 comments:

  1. Your mangels are looking very nice and we are a huge fan of that red ribbed chicory...such a hardy plant in our garden. Anyway, I just finished reading about the Midyim berry plant you are growing. What a fascinating little bush, do the berries taste as good as I have read that they do? I believe they were described as "the most delicious of all bush foods."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr H
    I wish I could answer the question about the berries but they haven't fruited yet.
    That they survived last summer and the frosts of winter are positive signs since they are not native to our arid region but with the extra care I can give them here I'm hopeful of a taste this year.
    The fruit is not something we can buy in any shops here, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the idea that you are at the opposite end of the gardening calendar! What a small world this blogging thing has made!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails