Monday, 6 July 2009

Winter Warm Spots

Scarecrow's Log: 5:07:2009:

The Black Ninja found a nice warm spot to snooze.
She will get a surprise when that tyre stack
gets turned into a birdbath later lol

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min 5C
Lowest Max 11.2C
Highest Max 19C
7 mm Rain

What's happening in the garden?

I took up the hose that I put in the chook run last year
...the Black Ninja helped.

I'm a bit late with this but the Asparagus has been cut down and I've put a new dripper hose on the area. This replaces some weeping hose that was beginning to break down. The area will be mulched up with some of the nettles that are slowly taking over the garden this year with all the rain. Some of the bedding from the chook house will go on too.

Doc has been busily collecting trimmings for the Cob oven...well pruning the fruit trees actually...just a light prune this year to get them off the pathways but still allow plenty of leaf cover for shade during the hot summers.

I took the curtain cover off Bed 1 to let the sun (and the bees) in on Saturday morning but tucked it back on in the afternoon. The Broccoli is forming well and the Broad Beans are flowering.

I'm doing some selective weeding on the path edges around the wicking beds in the main veg garden. I love the colourful flowers but we need to keep the paths clear for easy access.

Propagation:
Seeds:
Pea Climbing Angela's Blue - Along the fence on the non-wicking bed
Pea Dwarf Blue Bantam - in Wicking Tub C. See layout here

Potting up and Planting out:
Potted up some gazania seedlings that had sprung up in a pathways. Lots of other things are sprouting too...I'll dig some more up next week. Tagasaste, Lettuces and lots of different Acacias too.

New in the Garden This week:



I harvested 570g of Capsicums that have been sheltering under a plastic cover during winter. Some had even ripened to red! The wind storm on Tuesday meant the end of that plastic but I've put up another (more secure) plastic shelter now that the wind has settled down.

I bought 2 Black Currant (Ribes nigrum) bushes, these will be planted in the developing fruit forest in the Almond Tree Area.
In this area I have already planted 1 Pear Josephine, 1 Tangelo Minneola, 1 home grafted Stella Cherry, 1 seedling Apricot, 1 Strawberry Guava. These new fruit bushes will form an understory with the guava (which I'm hoping to plant more of). This area is developing into quite a jungle with the canopy shelter from the original old Almond and Black Mulberry and the Tagastases and Acacias that have been planted in there.

Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Capsicum King Of The North***570g
Carrots Atomic Red***356g
Peas Roi de Carouby Snow***22g
Lemons***7711g rescued after the storm

Plus a yummy mix of greens for soups/stirfries/salads...Kale, Lettuce, Watercress, Chives, Parsley, Sea Parsley, Soup Celery, Beetroot, Turnip and Swede Greens.

Plus 17 Eggs from the girls.

5 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. It is in the 90's here so cooler weather sounds nice right now. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Valerie
    We get a bit tired of our hot weather in summer too...but that's when I go visiting all the 'Northworld' Blogs to get some cool relief too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those black tyres do hold the heat! What a Klever Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the Ninja.She knows the good spots.
    There is a icy wind blowing up here today so could you close your freezer Scarecrow LOL.
    I am missing the warmer days of our Sub Tropical winter. The times are definitely changing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey STH
    Great to have you back in Blogland !!!!! :) :)


    I'll get Doc to close that freezer for you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails