Monday, 15 June 2009

Winter Colour

Scarecrow's Log: 14:06:2009:

Winter is the time for comfort,
for good food and warmth,
for the touch of a friendly hand
and for a talk beside the fire:
it is the time for home.
~Edith Sitwell~

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min -1.0C
Lowest Max 9.6C
Highest Max 14.0C
22mm Rain mrgreen

What's happening in the garden?

Colour in winter...Pink Correa

More colour and growth:
Cabbage, Calendula, Cauliflower and Rosemary.

Propagation:
None this week again...my course topic this week was pruning...

Pruning Fruit trees, Rosemary and the Saltbush hedge out the front...some of the fruit I picked off for the chooks first.

New in the Garden This week:

A visit from a Grey Butcherbird with his delightful song for such an aggressive predator!
See this link for more info
And here for photos of his earlier visit

Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Carrots Atomic Red***479g
Celery Kintsai (Soup Celery)***60g
Pumpkin Queensland Blue***2708g Found hiding above the chookrun gate! eek
Swede Butter***168g
Turnip Golden***425g
Lemons***4959g Juice frozen in ice cube trays for later use.

Plus a yummy mix of greens for soups/stirfries/salads...Kale, Lettuce, Watercress, Chives, Parsley, Sea Parsley, Soup Celery, Beetroot, Turnip and Swede Greens.

Don't tell the chooks but we are still buying eggs... eek

7 comments:

  1. Ooh that sounds cold, no wonder you're having to buy eggs. I thought it was bad enough here but I think our low has been about 6 deg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi...i just found your blog and it is lovely! i am counting down to fall here so i enjoyed visiting my favorite kind of weather on your blog. if you are missing summer i just put a lot of picks of my garden on my blog so have a look! joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greenfumb it's set to get colder here for the next month or so...winter has only just begun!

    Hello Joyce
    Thanks for the invite to your blog...I'm off for a warming tour! Yes in mid summer my favourite season is winter too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I wanna see that saltbush hedge! Can we have a photo of the whole of it with background?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chookie
    I'll get onto that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found a link to your blog in the comments over at the down--to--earth blog. Being in SW Florida, we're in the midst of our hot, humid summer where hardly anything grows.

    We've been making lots of tiny steps toward building our food security and living a more simple life, so I look forward to learning from your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Cindy
    I think it's great to compare growing notes with fellow gardeners from the 'Northworld.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails