Sunday, 7 June 2009

Winter Begins...

Scarecrow's Log: 07:06:2009:

First week of winter
...rain is falling
...the fire is on
...Lucky Dog has moved inside
smilesmilesmile

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min 2.8C
Lowest Max 11C
Highest Max 14.4C
14.5mm Rain

What's happening in the garden?

Those new little chookies
are slowly showing an interest
in what we bring to feed them
instead of running away each time! rolleyes

Doc's done a great job of cleaning and sharpening
our pruning tools.
We are all set for winter pruning now.

The Broad Beans are showing their heads
despite the cold weather.

Propagation:
Not much happening this week...too cold, too wet (ya!) and I have a cold!
Just as well that the Gardenate June chart for my zone lists only:
Broad Beans
Mustard Greens
Onion
Peas
Radish
Shallots
Snow Peas
Swedes
...I've already got most (the ones I want) of those in already! I use the chart for Cool/Mountain zone now that it's so cold here...not much will change for next month.

New in the Garden This week:



I'm finding that spiders are enjoying the curtains
...each time I take off a clamp
to tend the veg I find a new one! eek

Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Carrots Atomic Red***250g
Celery Kintsai (Soup Celery)***170g
Snow Peas Roi de Carouby***90g
Swede Butter***200g
Turnip Golden***300g
we've been cooking soups and stews on top of the wood fire!

Plus a yummy mix of greens for soups/stirfries/salads...Kale, Lettuce, Watercress, Chives, Parsley, Sea Parsley, Soup Celery, Beetroot, Turnip and Swede Greens.

I'm not mentioning eggs this week! wink

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails