Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Morning Feed

This morning the chooks had a different Morning Mash!

As we are down to 8 'new' girls and 3 oldies now I only use 1 scoop of bran/pollard and half a scoop of meatmeal.
As I had some 'not so fresh milk and yoghurt' in the fridge I warmed that up and used it to mix the mash. I then popped out to the garden for some extras...

the Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is thriving
over in the habitat garden
so I picked a couple of handfuls and chopped them into the mash
...read this article for info on Purslane...

a few garlic leaves from the Strawberry Tankbed...

and some tips off the Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
just a few leaves because too much is a poison,
but it's a useful wormer.

In with this I added half a crust off the bread from yesterday...chopped up small...it was plenty for them.

This was topped off with 2 lettuce plants that were starting to bolt to seed...and quite a few earwigs in this morning's collection (the cooler weather is keeping them hanging around this year!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails