Sunday, 26 October 2008

Then I Can Plant!

Garden Log 26 Oct 08:

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min 1.9C Ya! No Frost Again!
Lowest Max 21.2C
Highest Max 33C
No Recorded Rainfall

Three Wicking Box Gardens that were built earlier this year were sitting on the Pergola bench not doing a lot. When I watered them I noticed they were still working well so I topped them up with some more worm castings and planted some Salad Greens. The Shade cloth 'blind' has been re-attached to the North (sunny) side of the pergola as the weather has started to get seriously warm already. These greens will do well in this position.

Speaking of greens...I trimmed back the greens that were going to seed in the Greens Tank Bed and have put in a couple of Ida Gold Tomatoes...these are very yummy, yellow cherry tomatoes that grow on a bush that doesn't grow very tall. I've popped a couple of Purple Basil seedlings in as companions.



During the week I mulched some fruit trees in the Northern side Chook Run, behind the Main Veg Garden. It's quite overgrown with Tagasaste and Acacias in there so I chopped my way through these trees and used the trimmings for mulch.
Both these trees are Legumes so their foliage makes a useful mulch and it's free! wink No doubt the 3 old girl chooks in that area will get stuck into it but they will be moving to the other side of the block soon.

At last I've covered the little shade house with 50% white shadecloth. This little house started life as the Pot-on Dudes Hothouse last year. The frame has survived well and now this has become my little shady pond house. housing the bathtub water garden, and boxes for now. Growing water food plants Water Chestnuts, Kangkong, Watercress, Lebanese Watercress and Duck Potatoes.
The shadecloth has been added to cut down on the evaporation of the water from the 'ponds'. It has provided a great little micro-habitat for growing these plants.

Saturday's forecast of high temps (up to 40C around here) and strong North winds (over 30kph) meant we had to put up some extra protection for the young seedlings...more shadecloth on the Northern side of the benches to cut the wind force down!
As is turned out the top temp only reached 33C but the winds were still quite fierce.

This week's first job is to attached the new shade cover over the three Main Vegetable Beds I was hoping to plant them out before having to do this but the temperatures are up around 30C already so I might as well get it all up now.

Then I Can Plant! mrgreenmrgreenmrgreen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails