Saturday, 22 March 2008

Wicking Boxes and the Heat


The great news with these Wicking Boxes is that
despite that record heatwave they are going great.
I've only watered them once
at the beginning of the last weekend
when I was going to be too busy
to keep a close enough eye one them.


I've been picking Kale leaves for about three weeks now and the trimmings from the broccoli and cauliflower have been relished by the chooks.


I've removed the shade cloth cover now that the weather has cooled but will keep it handy in case it hots up again. A lace curtain has replaced the shade cloth but this is only temporary until I can make something bigger up as the moths will sting through the holes in this curtain.

One problem I've had was that some of the bulbs of the Tree Onions were beginning to rot off. They must have been too wet quite unbelievable in all that heat!

I've also dug out one of the Lebanese cress plants as I'll need to over-winter this in the hot house. I need to keep this one alive because all the plants in the garden have died off in the heat.


I've planted some Celpar seedlings in the boxes now as Companions to the brassicas.
I have noticed that the boxes might need a bit of a top up of soil as some of the bulkier materials in the mix break down.

So far I'm very pleased with the out come...
smile

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails