Wednesday, 23 January 2008

"A weed is but an unloved flower."

Caltrop - Tribulus terrestris
Fact sheet here

Ella Wheeler Wilcox may have said
"A weed is but an unloved flower"
but I don't think she ever met this one
evileekevil

This is one plant I thought I'd managed to banish from my garden. This morning I wandered into the old chook run to check on an apple tree, when I discovered a very healthy patch of this menace. Argh!!

The plants were immediately dispatched to the wheelie bin and I spent some time picking up the nasty, thorny seeds they left behind.

I presume the source of this outbreak was the straw I bought in last year as I've noticed a few seedling emerging but have always managed to get to them at a very early stage and dig them up. This patch I missed. As it was close to the trees dripper I'll have to keep a very close eye out for any more seedlings.




I'm very annoyed with myself for allowing these weeds to take off and produce seed which will be around for many years, just lurking ready to sprout when it rains.

One year's seeding makes seven years' weeding.
1873 Harland & Wilkinson Lancashire Legends

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails