Wednesday, 2 January 2008

Plum Sauce

The Santa Rosa Plums are ripening
and the Wattlebirds are eating them!
So I collected a bucketful for my favourite Plum Sauce

Plum sauce
3 kgs plums
1 kg sugar
2.85 litres of vinegar (I use 2litres of white vinegar and 850mls of cider vinegar)
2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
ground black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste I use 1/4 teaspoon of each

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegars with the spices and salt then add the whole plums that have been washed and trimmed of leaves and stemmy bits.
Allow to boil until the stones come away from the flesh, this may take 2 hours or more, depending on the ripeness of the fruit.
Then strain through a colander and return to pot to continue to boil down until thickened.
Then pour into sterilized bottles and seal.
Remember this is a sauce so don't allow it to thicken too much or it won't come out of the bottle.



I need to use my 2 big stock pots at the beginning of making this sauce; after straining off the stones it is returned to one pot to continue boiling down.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails