The compost has been 'cooking' for 12 weeks through our cold and very dry winter.
Since building this heap we have had a total of 30mm of rain. We haven't had more than 5mm fall in one day so basically this heap has had no help from falling rain but has been watered with rainwater from the tank on each turn.
- Was built on 2 June 07
- First turned on 11 June 07
- Second turn on 30 June 07
- Third turn on 11 July 07
- Fourth turn 29 July 07
- Fifth turn 18 Aug 07
I have begun using it:
- mixing into soil for building up beds for spring planting;
- putting in trenches when planting potatoes;
- filling holes in preparation for pumpkins;
- as a feeding, surface mulch which has been covered with dry straw.
It is quite damp and smells wonderfully 'earthy'.
Go HERE to see how it was built
and updates are HERE