Friday, 20 July 2007

Little Visitor

My attention was caught this morning when I thought I saw some movement out the corner of my eye.
Look who I found!

At first I thought it was a Willy Wagtail. These cheeky little birds are quite common in our region but rarely venture into my garden (something to do with the Black Ninja I suspect!!).

This little bird was different but just as cheeky.

After serious consultation with my bird bible 'The Slater Field Guide to Australian Birds' I now believe this little fellow to be Grey Fantail - Rhipidura fuliginosa, actually a close relative of the Willy Wagtail - Rhipidura leucophrys.


He stayed long enough for me to photograph him. For which I thanked him. He wasn't scared of me and in fact he nearly landed on my shoulder. He is welcome in Scarecrow's Garden as his favourite food is insects so hopefully he'll take a liking to some of the bugs in my vegetable patch.

According to the fact sheet from Birds in the Backyard Grey Fantails often migrate North in winter to warmer areas of Australia, so I'm glad this one decided to visit my garden.
"The Grey Fantail occasionally visits densely-planted urban gardens, particularly during the winter migration. Often makes use of eucalypt trees."

He must have liked the gum trees in the garden!

Thank you little bird.
You made my day!



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails