Saturday, 10 February 2007

Sunflowers - Helianthus annuus

I love growing Sunflowers and this year I had a patch of ground that had been cleared by the chooks.
Later this year the chooks will be going back to this area.
I thought this would be a great place to grow some Sunflowers for them.


Last spring I had some seeds left from a bag of organic chook feed
so I planted them in this patch.
I attached a weepy hose to the area
and also planted some Purslane here too
as this is beneficial for chooks to eat.


They were well mulched with straw
and in early Janurary we put the hose here
from the grey water barrel that collects water
from the washing machine water.

They have grown very well on this water
and are their flowering has been prolific.

Soon I will pick some of the heads
and store them for winter feed
but when the chooks return to this run
I will knock over the stems and let them go for it!




I don't often save the seed of my Sunflowers
as over the years I have grown many different varieties
and find they tend to cross easily.
I have a promise of a new source of seed for next year.
My source tells me I'll get the tallest, biggest Sunflowers in town.
I can't wait!!!


“Every friend is to the other a sun, and a sunflower also.
He attracts and follows.”
Jean Paul Richter (German Novelist and humorist, 1763-1825)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails