Thursday, 22 February 2007

Companion Planting - Red Kale


If you ever need an example of Companion Planting here it is.

One of my Gardening experiments this year has been my Bed 6 Polyculture Patch.

Bed 6 Early in the season

This morning while wandering around the Main Veg Patch I noticed something interesting in this bed .

Oh Dear!

This Red Kale Plant was looking rather worse for wear. On closer inspection I found the reason.

Aphids.

These plants are at the southern end of the bed planted along side some Kohlrabi (badly attacked by cabbage moths), Oregano, Sunflowers and self-sown NZ Spinach.

Cabbage Moth caterpillar on Kohlrabi

At the northern end of the same bed two more Red Kale plants are growing. All these Kale plants are from same batch of seed, planted at the same time. All these Kale plants have been on drippers and mulched quite heavily so basic growing conditions have been duplicated.

These are the plants at the Northern end of the bed.

You may not be able to pick out all of the companion plants here. There is Basil, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and also the Sunflowers and NZ Spinach. The kale plants here are small but on closer inspection I found neither aphids nor Cabbage Moth Catepillars.

Something is working here!

3 comments:

  1. Was looking at your "harvesting tthis month" can I put in an order...lol
    Companion planting is an interesting subject...we always plant marigolds with tomatoes to keep the toms aphid free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm that is very interesting. I will give it a try but not with rosemary as that is a permanent shrubby plant here, and as I have to rotate my crops up my plot the rosemary bush would be in the way, but I do have one growing up there

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Ruth I don't know what state it would be in by the time it got to you!!

    Lottie
    I have the same problem here too and find shrubby herbs left over winter will be a shelter spot for earwigs and other pests in early spring.
    The Rosemary in this bed is still small and in a large pot. So is the Sage and some Lemon Thyme too. That way I can move them if I need to.
    I usually just have lots of herbs and flowering plants on the edge beds. And round the pond in the middle of the veg garden.
    They all help with pest control and attracting beneficial insects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails