Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Seed Tape

On Saturday 27th Jan. Cosmic Gardener's Moon Planting chart read:
BEST TIME. Beetroot, carrots, kohl-rabi, parsnip, radish, swedes, turnip,
marrow, squash, zucchini ( last chance) potatoes.


I have been using the temperate chart during summer but will soon move to the cold climate chart for winter. Our climate can't be classified as temperate with our -8 degree frosts here.

I thought I'd have a go at making Seed tape at home. Have seen the idea before and it looks so easy I thought I'd give it a go for the seeds I needed to plant.
Carrots are always a pain to thin out and are difficult to get to germinate in the heat.


I decided to try the idea using 1 inch strips of newspaper.


I used a cooked cornflour glue - 2 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with a little cold water then added 1 cup of boiling water and whisked to a glug.


This I placed in a sandwich bag
and snipped a corner off to allow drops of glue at each seed site.



Remember to measure as the seed packet instructs for spacing.


Carefully place one (large seeds) or two seeds on each drop of glue


I halved the spacing to allow extra in case of poor germination.
Carrots often take extra time to germinate in our heat so the more the merrier.


The seeds I planted today were:
Carrot - Manchester Table from Eden seeds
Turnip - Golden from Phoenix seeds
Beetroot - Cylindra from Eden seeds
Kohlrabi - Super Schmeltz from Phoenix seeds


As it was windy today I very carefully carried the dry strips out to the garden
and put them on the prepared ground.


They were lightly covered with soil and mulch and watered in.

A different method that looks interesting can be found here at:
Organic gardening


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails