Wednesday, 10 January 2007

Saffron Crocus

When I ordered the Saffron from Digger's club I thought I'd better do some research on it before I planted it.
Here's some of what I found:

Saffron Crocus sativus
Plant bulbs late spring early summer for Autumn flowering.
Grown for the golden stamens which are dried and used as flavouring and colour for rice, curries, seafood, lamb, sauces, creams, pasta through to cakes biscuits and confectionary.

Some other uses:
  • it's regarded as an aphrodisiac used in perfumes & massage oils
  • also as a dye, Buddist monks have used saffron to dye their robes
  • many medicinal uses when taken as a tea.

Isabel Shipard in "How I use Herbs In My Daily Life" says
"a little is better than a lot just as well because it takes 60,000 flowers to produce 100g of the dried saffron"

Also according to Plants For a Future:
"5-10g of saffron has been known to cause death"

Of course I also have the label off the packet: (click on the picture to see it better)




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails